fot

Re: [Fot] Roller Rockers/Valve Lash/Acceleration/Velocity/Lifter

To: "'Greg \"Lunker\" Hilyer'" <lunkercars@earthlink.net>, "'Larry
Subject: Re: [Fot] Roller Rockers/Valve Lash/Acceleration/Velocity/Lifter
From: "Richard Taylor" <tarch@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:44:03 -0500
Group,

As an outsider in this groovy thread of cams, curves, velocity and
acceleration of lifters and valves and such, I'm left with some chance
thoughts.

The first is to thank you for taking the time to explain to many of us the
kind of thinking that goes into this component of an engine. It reminds me,
a little, of taking calculus in college. Like many, I bumbled through. But
once out of school it all went immediately into the lost-art department. The
important left-overs in both this thread of cam design and the old calculus
courses is the knowledge that there is a wonderfully tight and bright system
of comprehension that someone much more dedicated than most of us engages
in.

And just as importantly, you have patiently brought this knowledge well
within the engineering limits of those of us who have to adjust their valves
three times just to feel confident that they will neither rattle nor
silently not close at all.

Consequently, other than the intellectual stimulation that many of us
enjoyed from all this conversation, I am left with two thoughts.

First, I would like to express my (Fot) appreciation to our brain trust for
the thought-provoking lessons.  And, secondly, since Uncle Jack adjusts his
valves on the tight side, so will I. That's all I need to know (thank you
Keats)and more than I got out of my calculus classes.

Thanks again,

Richard
TR-4 #196