fot

Re: [Fot] Cleaning parts

To: Lunkercars@earthlink.net, charly@mitchelplumbing.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Cleaning parts
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:36:44 EST
In a message dated 01/14/2008 4:23:35 PM Central Standard Time,
Lunkercars@earthlink.net writes:

> One of my wackier unused ideas, but I actually think it worth a try -
> Tabasco Sauce!! Ever noticed what it will do to a penny? Or a cast
> iron frying pan? Or your stomach lining? If someone runs with the
> idea, markets it, and makes a million, remember where the idea came
> from and just give me a fair cut - I promise to give 1/2 to the FoT.
> **Disclaimer** While Tabasco has plenty of alkaline vinegar, I also
> has copious amounts of acidic salt. DO NOT try to degrease the
> underside of your car with it unless you need to duplicate the
> original rusty patina. For parts, a immediate water rinse should do
> the trick.

Absolutely.  Vinegar is acid.  I logged over 45 years in the masonry
business.  The state of Wisconsin will not allow you to wash fresh face brick
work
with acid.  A solvent made from 10% muriatic acid and 90% water is the
traditional wash down used by mason contractors for washing fresh brickwork.
And used
properly by professionals it works just fine.  But the state would not let you
use it on their buildings.  You have to use 'similar' to remove mortar smears,
so on state jobs we used to use vinegar in a spray bottle.  When inspectors
used to ask, "Hey what the heck is that stuff you're using?", my guys used to
spray it in their own  mouths, and answer, "It's nothing that will hurt me and
it won't hurt a brick wall either."

Bill Dentinger.