fot

Re: [Fot] checking bearing clearances

To: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] checking bearing clearances
From: Glenn Franco <gaf3@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:28:46 -0500
Mark J Bradakis wrote:
> I use plastigage, since I don't have a decent inside micrometer.
> Maybe it would be worth it to get one that would cover the
> appropriate size for TR6 and Spit big ends and mains.
>
> mjb.

Mark
Pick up a set of telescope gauges at your local tool supply or even at
harbor freight.
They expand and take up the dimension of the cylinder and you use an
outside micrometer to take your measurement.
They also sell small hole gauges (same principle) for measuring things
like valve guide dimensions (id).
I have been using them for years.
But I always check with platigauge before assembly.
Glenn Franco
72 Spit racer under construction & too many TR's