fot

[Fot] Blue Dot Taillights

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Blue Dot Taillights
From: <markconsultation@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:40:38 -0400
I have an old Panhead Harley that was modified "in the day" with a blue dot
among many other period alterations.

I always thought they were popular because Blue light travels farther in air
and catches the eye. For those of us that require more than our alotted share
of attention, its an inexpensive alteration and they do look cool. No matter
how far away you are, when you see them, you know its gonna be worth it to
catch up and see what its attached to.

As for legality, I ran into a problem here in NY where I was perceived as a
nuisance and denied NY plates. He said they are illegal because blue dots are
distracting.

 I got around it by siliconing some Aluminum foil to the back of the blue dot
so it did not glow. This got me through inspection without having to remove it.
Unfortunately the next weekend, I had the lens off and the foil "accidently"
fell off...