fot

Re: [Fot] VTR is now involved with FoT at THE GLEN----Membership In

To: <N197TR4@cs.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] VTR is now involved with FoT at THE GLEN----Membership In
From: "Don Carter" <don@carterdesignassociates.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:48:55 -0500
Joe and all FOTers,

Our local Houston club, the Texas Triumph Register, has about 150 family
memberships with 50 or more very active members.  We are almost all members
of the VTR along with our club's membership.  I happen to know that the
officers are very much in favor of supporting all types of racing and
anything or event that has a Triumph of any kind in it.  Of course, there
are a few clubs out there that have a few members wanting nothing more than
to roll there trailer-queens off the trailer and show them, win a trophy,
and carry it home and look at it like a coffee table.  Because that's not
what I choose to do, doesn't make it wrong.

The TRA, Stag Club, Six Pack, FOT, Vintage Triumph Register, or whatever
club has Triumphs belonging to it needs to make room for all types of events
for all types of people with different interests in driving, showing,
touring, and restoring.  All of us benefit in some way for each of the
national clubs having this variety within our hobby.  An excellent
restoration, for example, that sells for the big bucks at an auction,
increases the value of all our cars; just as being able to show a
prospective Triumph buyer the race results from Watkins Glen, and showing
him or her the photos of a similar Triumph still being raced will help to
complete the deal and gain another younger person interested in triumphing.

The survival of our hobby depends on all us staying strong in number, which
means getting younger members interested in one or more of a variety of
events.  FOT not wanting a formal organization is actually refreshing,
because it works great as long as our computer guru Mark stays on top of
things in Utah.  But banding together in a larger more formal organization
will no doubt help us count members and be a more influential tribe of
hobbyists. For an anti-establishment guy, that's the best "I have a dream
speech" I can use to explain my view. Sorry for it being so long.

Don Carter