fot

Re: [Fot] fot crank cross drilling

To: <rikrock@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] fot crank cross drilling
From: "Richard Taylor" <tarch@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 17:18:12 -0400
I'm looking at the broken-off piece of my TR-4 crankshaft. It broke right
where it is supposed to, at the #3 throw.

The rear main journal has one hole about the size of a 5.5mm Allen wrench
angling in toward the throw. The #4 rod journal has a similar sized hole
running all the way across creating two oiling ports. There is also a
smaller (2mm Allen wrench) that goes half way through. It is on the outboard
side of the journal but apparently ends in the cross-drilled passageway,
thus creating a third, much smaller, oiling point.

When I backed out the Allen nut that appears to be an inspection port, there
is a batch of pasty grey stuff that looks like a bearing emulsion.

Hope this helps.

Richard  L. Taylor, Jr.,  FAIA