fot

[Fot] Big thanks & a nomination

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Big thanks & a nomination
From: "Greg \"Lunker\" Hilyer" <lunkercars@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 10:36:14 -0600
Big thanks to all who responded to my post "Looking for a racer" of
awhile back. And especially to Bob Miller who's tip led to the
purchase of Mike Alex's TR4 from the Denver area.
My friend Bill Swope brought the car back to Albuquerque last week
and I got a look - very nicely prepared TR4 that looks to have been a
race car all it's life. Bill is still going thru the reams of
documents that came with the car, but there are indications that it
may have been a Group 44 car at one time. Lots of neat mods. that
I'll get into later. It is white with green #06 as it came from
Connecticut a few years back. Prior to that it may have been orange w/
yellow [#8?] also in the Connecticut area. Has a "Canada" decal on
the dash, the significance of which is not yet known. It is not what
I envisioned as a "drive to the track racer" but I guess Bill has a
more expansive definition of that than I... His maiden voyage was
down the street of his quiet neighborhood right past a motorcycle cop
writing someone else a ticket. Bill parked, got out, walked up to the
cop and said "am I in trouble? I'll go get the trailer if you want"
Thus disarmed, the officer just told him to get it home! I've never
quite had such luck. Sounds just right for the FoT to me!
Bill has now come full circle - his first race car was a TR4 back in
'63. His current racing stable includes a Beach/Lotus SR, a couple
Brabham FA's and wife Janice's 356 DP and decades of club racing.
Time to get him on the list. Therefor my nomination of Bill Swope
[bswope959@msn.com] to the FoT. With any luck we might even get him
[& Janice] to Watkins Glen. How 'bout a second Henry?
Thanks again,
Greg "Lunker" Hilyer
TR4 #314
Albuquerque NM

P.S. Where can I send a few $$ to help keep our wonderful FoT going?