fot

[Fot] Diesel and Gas out of a Barrel of oil

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>, "Chuck Arnold" <triosan@gmail.com>,
Subject: [Fot] Diesel and Gas out of a Barrel of oil
From: "Scott Janzen" <S.Janzen@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 15:33:38 -0400
This is an exerpt from a larger article - apparently the refining process is
not what most of us assume.
"Al Mannato, a fuel-issues manager at API, explains that oil refineries tend
to fall into two categories: catalytic cracking and hydrocracking. Most U.S.
refineries are set up for catalytic cracking, which turns each barrel of
crude oil into about 50-percent gasoline, 15-percent diesel, and the
remainder into jet fuel, home heating oil, heavy fuel oil, liquefied
petroleum gas, asphalt, and various other products. In Europe and most of
the rest of the world, refineries use a hydrocracking process, which
produces more like 25-percent gasoline and 25-percent diesel from that
barrel of oil. So the rest of the world is already maximizing diesel
production. In fact, despite using a refining strategy that minimizes the
production of gasoline, Europe still ends up with too much of the stuff, so
it exports it to America-about one of every eight gallons of gasoline that
we consume. "