fot

Re: [Fot] Mallory dual point trouble-shooting, condensers

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Mallory dual point trouble-shooting, condensers
From: Bill Babcock <billbab@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 08:33:42 -0700
Easy enough to test that, I just need to remember how. As I recall a
signal generator and voltmeter is basically what you need, and some of
the better vacuum tube voltmeters did direct capacitance measurement.
Oh, wait, I don't have any of that stuff anymore.

Lame jokes aside, we'd also need to know what voltage it was supposed
to handle, which is a design value, not a measurable one (except by
smoking a few) though we could guess "high" and probably be good.

On Jul 1, 2008, at 4:21 AM, Jack W. Drews wrote:

> This is a good time to remind everybody about the peculiarity of the
> Mallory condensers.
>
> The condensers are manufactured with a coating on the outside to
> prevent corrosion. The little bracket that holds them is intended for
> a one-time-only use. The bracket has little indentations protruding
> toward the inside diameter intended to scratch that coating off.
>
> This seems to me to be a lousy design concept.
>
> The solution seems to be to sand the corrosion protection off of the
> portion of the condenser that the little nubbins are supposed to
> contact. At least this has worked for me so far.
>
> If we could get through to a real person at Mallory who was
> interested in helping, we could find out the microfarad value of the
> condenser and perhaps find a suitable replacement on the market.
>

> At 02:12 PM 6/30/2008, Scott Janzen wrote:
>> My GT6 has a one year old dual point in it with mechanical
>> advance.  It runs
>> great when only the leading set of points are connected.  When I
>> connect the
>> second set, it barely idles and breaks up through the rpm range, to
>> the extent
>> it revs at all.  I changed out the points with a new set, ran emory
>> cloth
>> through the points, etc, no improvement.  I'm setting the leading
>> points at 29
>> degrees dwell and 35 combined.  I have initial advance at about 10
>> degrees and
>> total advance at 32.  I'm sure I'm missing something obvious
>> here . . . what's
>> wrong with the second set?
>>
>> You are subscribed as vinttr4@geneseo.net
>
> You are subscribed as billb@bnj.com