fot

Re: [Fot] Front brake union

To: "'Mark York'" <m-syork@comcast.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Front brake union
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:29:00 -0700
> The 5-way brake union on the front of my TR3 racer is badly
> corroded and leaks. I've looked at the Moss (not available),
> and Victoria British (not in
> stock) and sent an email to TRF.

P/N 107069, NLS.

> Has anyone tried to adapt
> the 4 way off the TR4/4A and mount the electric switch from
> the same?

Didn't use the 4-way, but I've used a switch mounted to the pedal box (ala
TR4) for several years.  Works great for me.  Switch was off a Dodge or
something, I forget which one.

> What about the restrictor valve that mounts on the
> top of the 5 way, what purpose does it serve

It's purpose was to keep the front brake pads from being knocked back by the
spindles flexing in hard turns.

> and how do you
> get around it with the 4 way union?

Early TR4s used the same valve, so yours should fit.  But I never liked
having the brakes drag, so I gutted my valve years ago and just lived with
the pad knockback.  Supposedly Uncle Jack's uprated spindles and bearing
spacers completely solve the problem, but I've not had a chance to try mine
yet. (Available from TRF, P/N HP661)

Randall