fot

Re: [Fot] Tr6 PI and racing

To: Charly Mitchel <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>, FOT LIST <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Tr6 PI and racing
From: greg <gtlund@cyberspeedway.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 22:24:01 -0700
Charly,
     Once you start using a lot of fuel the pump might not keep up,
especially if it has some wear. Pressure is just resistance to flow so
if the output flow remains constant during an increase in demand, the
pressure will go down. More revs per minute need more fuel per minute.
Kas' system used two pumps but I don't know if he ran both all the time.
If this were a hydraulic system like I deal with every day, I would say
the pump is giving up. The flow of a worn pump goes down with pressure
increase because it bypasses more flow internally. The Lucas pump is a
gear type and you can easily dissasemble it for inspection. Poor
filtration will kill a gear pump's efficiency in a heartbeat because all
the clearances are fixed. The gear pump elements of the Lucas pump are
quite well made and I suspect expensive to produce back then. I think
most of the Lucas pump problems were electric.
    I would use a modern 10 micron absolute filter on the suction side.
I don't know what the original Lucas filter was rated but back then
nobody paid attention to absolute filter ratings except Milspec. Try to
find a filter which uses a good synthetic media for the element. Any
water in a cellulose element will make it swell and or send it's guts
down stream.

Greg Lund