fot

Re: [Fot] Standard connections

To: <billdentin@aol.com>, <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>,
Subject: Re: [Fot] Standard connections
From: michael cook <mlcooknj@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 22:17:02 -0400
--===============1081333966==

--_03699719-4fd9-4724-aa2e-c3cb4212027c_

Just to clarify a bit:
=20
The Nash (or Hudson) Metropolitan was built by Austin at the Longbridge pla=
nt and had a BMC 4-cyl=2C 1500=2C I believe. It was also marketed in the UK=
 and Europe.Trouble is=2C it wasn't a sports car or an economy sedan so it =
was trying to create a new market niche and never penetrated.
=20
I don't know much about the potential Standard Triumph and Nash project but=
 it could have had a lot of similarities to British Leyland. Nash was in fi=
nancial trouble all through the '50s and joining up with Hudson and Packard=
 didn't help. By 1964=2C American Motors was taking a whole new direction w=
ith Rambler as it's only product name. Nash=2C Hudson and Packard were all =
gone. Think what a drain AMC might have been on Standard-Triumph's finances=
 even before ST sale went to hell in 1961.
=20
Mike Cook

From: BillDentin@aol.comDate: Sat=2C 30 Aug 2008 20:07:29 -0400To: standard=
triumph@btinternet.com=3B spreiss@verizon.net=3B fot@autox.team.netSubject:=
 Re: [Fot] Standard connections

I thought I read some where that Nash (later=2C American Motors) was giving=
 engines to Donald Healey=2C when he couldn't strike a deal with Chrysler=
=2C Ford or GM.  And then=2C of course=2C American Motors later offered a l=
ittle Metropolitan=2C which was sure Herald like in many aspects=2C and I t=
hink it had a British engine.
=20
Bill Dentinger
=20
=20

In a message dated 8/30/2008 6:05:03 P.M. Central Daylight Time=2C standard=