fot

Re: [Fot] Quick ratio steering box for a TR6

To: Steven Preiss <spreiss@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Quick ratio steering box for a TR6
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:43:54 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Steven Preiss wrote:

> I am somewhat puzzled. My TR3 with worm and pivot box responds quickly and
> predictably to minimal inputs from the standard 16+ inch wheel in fast-
> road/ track like turns. This using 165R15 radials, slightly lowered springs,
> modern gas shocks and a vintage TR4 front anti sway bar. It also tracks just
> fine in a stright line. (Though I do experience cowl shake between 55 and 65
> mph, it disappears at 70.) Its hard for me to imagine how a much quicker
> steering response would improve handling, as cornering does require a firm,
> mindful grip. However I am finding  that throttle input has as much if not
> more effect on turn in and grip as steering.

Hmm, different strokes for different folks.

I run a TR6 with a quick rack and a 13" grant wheel. My car turns _really
quick_. I also run 10" slicks and the car is lowered with sway bars and
all that.

The thing with the quicker rack is that you don't approach corners "all
arms and elbows". You just urge the car with the wheel and "it turns". I
can rotate the car easily, if it steps out, a TINY correction gets the
back where it belongs and I rarely "get behind" and spin. It is extremely
drivable.

With the old stock rack, turning into tight stuff (like pin turns -
remember I'm an autocrosser) used to require shuffling the wheel, now I
can do almost everything within the about 90 degrees either way from
straight up - I never have to put tonnes of steering lock in.

So, one setup may be fine for road racing and one may be fine for
autocross. I'm pretty sure that my setup would be awesome for road racing,
but then again, it'll be some time (if ever) before I could prove that.

> Steve P.

regards,
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489