fot

Re: [Fot] Tr-6 odd/even

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Tr-6 odd/even
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 05:52:37 -0700
> I may be wrong, but isn't odd/even related to V type engines,
> and meaningless on inline engines?

Not necessarily.  "Even fire" means that the cylinder firings are evenly
spaced around two rotations of the crankshaft (for a 4 cycle engine).

The old John Deere inline 2 cylinder tractor motors were odd fire.  Instead
of having the crank arranged so both pistons came to TDC at the same time
(as required for an even fire 4 stroke 2 cylinder), the throws were
opposite.  Thus the cylinders fired 180 degrees apart, then no firing for
540 degrees.  The resulting exhaust note earned them the nickname "Johnny
Poppers".

But I don't know of any other examples of inline odd fire engines.

Randall