fot

[Fot] Watkins Glen!!

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Watkins Glen!!
From: jcjcarrera@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 07:02:54 +0000
--===============0656392880==

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_4141_1221807774_0

No sooner did I return from the Glen then off we went for a week. Here are my
belated comments on Watkins Glen 2008. I enjoyed reading other's comments and
experiences.

1. Best car people on the planet drive/race Triumphs. Helpful, knowledgeable,
fun, courteuos yet competitive drivers. Kas is a superb individual. Had great
racing action with Tony Drews, Bob Kramer and Greg Hilyer in the Triumph event
and the final group three race. My good friends were visiting from Geneva, NY
and wanted to know why I let the pink car pass me. I explained the car was not
pink but a rare TR color called Geranium.

2. The track is outstanding and one I've always wanted to race on since
visiting the track with the Bucknell University sports car club for the 1962
thru 64 Gran Prix races. However, I drank far less beer this time.

3. #116 ran well except for a high speed miss over 6000 RPM. Tony Garmey said
it had something to do with #116 sharing the trailer from the left coast with
the Peyote

4. SVAR is well organized and pleasant to work with. Peter Krause's classroom
session on Thursday was very helpful in learning the track

5. The Friday night event through downtown Watkins Glen was fantastic. Really
enjoyed the local folks and I had the best navigator--Bill Babcock's much
better half. Diane rode with me because the Peyote's passenger seat is taken up
by the fuel cell. She was a kick with her leather avaitor hat and goggles.
However. I almost rear ended Henry Frye just before the stone bridge when he
quickly slowed down. Must have been waiving to the crowd or blinded by the
yellow paint job. Flat spotted my front tires!! DID anyone take an in car video
of this greatest of all cruises???

6. The original owner/driver of my TR4 and his mechanic were out in the
countryside Friday evening and thought #116 might have been their car they
built and raced in the early 70's as we drove by. Saturday morning they were at
the track and were reintroduced to their car. I had them autograph the car and
we took lots of photos and I listened to all their stories about racing at
Kent, Riverside, Portland, etc. What a treat, except for the part where Rich
Kliewer rolled the car at turn six at Pacific Raceways--oh and the engine fire
at Portland that sent flames fifteen feet in the air. They have promised me
tons of photos and news articles on my TR's early history!! They said seeing
the car was like finding a lost son.

7.What a great variety of TR's, 3's, 4's, 6's, 8's, the 250K, Devins, Peyote,
Spits, plus the first ever TR production sports car. Did anyone take any vieos
of the races and car events?

Special thanks to Joe Alexander, Classic Motorsports, Kas, Tony Garmey for
keeping #116 in top form, and thanks to Tony for bringing the 250K and Devin
and Bill Hart for sharing these two historic TR's with us.Wish Bill could have
been with us.

Last, thanks to all for honoring Uncle Jack's legacy.

John James
--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_4141_1221807774_0

<DIV>No sooner did I return from the Glen then off we went for a week. Here are
my belated comments on Watkins Glen 2008. I enjoyed reading other's comments
and experiences.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>1. Best car people on the planet drive/race Triumphs. Helpful,
knowledgeable, fun, courteuos yet competitive drivers. Kas is a superb
individual. Had great racing action with Tony Drews, Bob Kramer and Greg Hilyer
in the Triumph event and the final group three race. My good friends were
visiting from Geneva, NY and wanted to know why I let the pink car pass me. I
explained the car was not pink but a rare TR color called Geranium. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>2. The track is outstanding and one I've always wanted to race on since
visiting the track with the Bucknell University sports car club for the 1962
thru 64 Gran Prix races. However, I drank far less beer this time.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>3. #116 ran well except for a high speed miss over 6000 RPM. Tony Garmey
said it had something to do with #116 sharing the trailer from the left coast
with the Peyote</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>4. SVAR is well organized and pleasant to work with. Peter Krause's
classroom session on Thursday was very helpful in learning the track</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>5. The Friday night event through downtown Watkins Glen was fantastic.
Really enjoyed the local folks and I had the best navigator--Bill Babcock's
much better half. Diane rode with me because the Peyote's passenger seat is
taken up by&nbsp;the fuel cell. She was a kick with her leather avaitor hat and
goggles. However. I almost rear ended Henry Frye just before the stone bridge
when he quickly slowed down. Must have been waiving to the crowd or blinded by
the yellow paint job. Flat spotted my front tires!! DID anyone take an in car
video of this greatest of all cruises???</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>6. The original owner/driver of my TR4 and his mechanic were out in the
countryside Friday evening and thought #116 might have been their car they
built and raced in the early 70's as&nbsp;we drove by. Saturday morning they
were at the track and were reintroduced to their car. I had them autograph the
car and we took lots of photos and I listened to all their stories about racing
at Kent, Riverside, Portland, etc. What a treat, except for the part where Rich
Kliewer rolled the car at turn six at Pacific Raceways--oh and the&nbsp;engine
fire at Portland that sent flames fifteen feet in the air.&nbsp;They have
promised me tons of photos and news articles on my TR's early history!! They
said seeing the car was like finding a lost son.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>7.What a great variety of TR's, 3's, 4's, 6's, 8's, the 250K, Devins,
Peyote, Spits, plus the first ever TR production sports car. Did anyone take
any vieos of the races and car events?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Special thanks to Joe Alexander, Classic Motorsports, Kas, Tony Garmey for
keeping #116 in top form, and thanks to Tony for bringing the 250K and Devin
and Bill Hart for sharing these two historic TR's with us.Wish Bill could have
been with us.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Last, thanks to all for honoring Uncle Jack's legacy.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>John James</DIV>
<DIV>#116</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>