fot

[Fot] TR6 second gear needed

To: 'Friends of Triumph' <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] TR6 second gear needed
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:49:05 -0700
You may remember a while back I was asking about a second
gear scrunch in a TR6 gearbox I'd recently rebuilt.  Finally
pulled it out of the car and tore it down.  Interesting.  The
fact that I measured good clearance on the the second gear
synchro was due to the chunks of metal wedged in there.

The distance washer at the back end of the second gear
tophat  had crumbled apart.  The bronze tophat itself had
not broken apart, though it was cracked and chewed up
a fair amount on the small end.  We surmise that it happened
as a result of a missing cotter pin on the diff flange.  Around
the end of august the nut came loose, the pinion worked its
way out of the bearings and into the carrier.  It resulted in the
car coming to an abrupt and less than graceful halt, as the
owner related.  My money is on the car being in second
gear when it happened.

Anyway, the gear itself, a 33 tooth one from  gearbox
CD40866 had some unwanted machining done to it by the
bits and grits the  disintegrated washer has strewn around
the box.  Do any of you happen to have a usuable gear laying
around you'd be willing to part with?  Moss part number is
847-065, I haven't scrounged through my other books yet to
dig out the Stanpart number.

mjb.