fot

[Fot] FW: Why do you race what you race?

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] FW: Why do you race what you race?
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:56:52 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Murphy [mailto:timmurph@fastbytes.com]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 9:26 PM
To: 'Andre Rousseau'
Subject: RE: [Fot] Why do you race what you race?

We choose to build and race a TR4 because I had a TR4A that I bought new in
'66 and had for about 25 years and was familiar with it.  Also, it's the car
that was around when my son Ryan, my partner in the race car, was growing up
so he also was familiar with it.  It's pretty basic mechanically, meaning
that with some tools and facilities you can pretty much do it all yourself,
which is what we did.  From the suspension, drive train, frame and including
the body work and the painting.  The only thing we had done "outside" was
the bead blasting of the tub and frame.  And, yes, it would have probably
been cheaper (and a lot quicker!) if we'd have bought a racer to begin with.
But now we now this car inside and out, literally.  We've installed and
tightened every nut and bolt on the car as well as all the wiring, plumbing,
etc.  So that's why we race a TR4. And it was a great experience and if I
had to do it again, I'd do it the same way just to have the satisfaction
that "I built that".

Tim and Ryan Murphy