fot

Re: [Fot] Fast idle

To: "Kas Kastner" <kaskas@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Fast idle
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 08:16:49 -1000
It's also pretty easy to screw up the timing, or to have a sticking
advance unit. I had an adjustable timing light get out of calibration,
and your timing mark could be off. I'd also spray the gasket surfaces
with water and look for a stumble as the water gets drawn in. So easy
to get a vacuum leak.
On Feb 10, 2009, at 6:49 AM, Kas Kastner wrote:

> Given you are certain about the possible gasket and manifold leaks
> the only
> place remaining is the carburetor throttle plates. The engine must
> get air
> from somewhere to give the fast idle. They only have to be off a
> fraction to
> allow enough air to pass to give the fast idle as there is no load
> on the
> engine.
>
> You just might be able to see by just removing the bells and slides
> of each
> carb to check the plate position.That opening is pretty difficult to
> see from
> the outside of the carb but remove the carb and shine a light at the
> front and
> looking at the plate from the rear you will if there is a gap.
>
> To reseat the plates, slack off the screws, tap the plates lightly
> and check
> to see that the gap has been closed, hold tightly closed with your
> finger as
> you tighten the plates.  I would remove each screw individually then
> and apply
> a little Loctite unless the screws are the split end type, replace
> each screw
> in turn, recheck  the  position with the light.
>
> The error can happen easily on a re-build of the carbs.
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a
> name of Kas Kastner.vcf]

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins
Billb@bnj.com