fot

Re: [Fot] Stupid Tranny Question

To: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Stupid Tranny Question
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 23:14:31 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> Robert Lang wrote:

> Uh, yes, I know.  Why is it you want to adjust the end float of the 2nd/3rd
> gear
> bushes using the sectioned washer, introducing stress risers and non-parallel
> surfaces when the gearbox was designed to adjust this end float with
> precision
> ground  washers of various thickness on the other end?  What am I missing in
> your reasoning here?

the piece I was looking for is part number 156136 (or alternate 157054) in
the TRF TR6 book. I broke the washer that was in there, so I bought a new
one from Moss. The finish of the new piece was fairly rough, some sort of
greyish finish. Removing the grey finish so I have a uniform shiney finish
seems to have done the trick. The resulting part is (by micrometer
measurement) still good (less than .001" variation measured at several
places. I think I still have a precision washer.

Regarding the spacer washers 129941 through 129944, given the dimensions
that I had, the smallest (129941) was .003 too big!

It looks like the polishing actually worked. I'll mic it to be sure the
washer faces are still parallel.

I did find it interesting that TRF doesn't list the 156136 or 157054 as
available anymore.

I think the grey "stuff" is some sort of leftover from the hardening
process. But there's a LOT of it. About .005". WOW.

> mjb.

regards,
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489