fot

[Fot] Big TR 3rd/4th synchro hub

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Big TR 3rd/4th synchro hub
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:09:03 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I got the box together. Thanks for the offers for parts!

So here's the next question.

Background - I seem to be forgetting things at an alarming rate, so I apologize
if this is a question with an obvious answer... like I just sent this
message to fot@auto.team.net. Yikes!
                ----

The big TR gearbox 3rd/4th synchro hub is assymetrical, that is to say one side
has a protrusion of the inner splined section that is flush to the one face of
the hub and the other side is recessed from the outer face. So it obviously
goes either one way 'round or t'other.

I've assembled more than 15 of these gearboxes the last one was about 6 years
ago. I can't remember which way the synchro hub is supposed to go! The TR6
parts book implies that the flush end goes to the tail of the tranny and
therefore the recess goes forward - but I assembled one last night with the
flush end forward. And it fits and there's no binding or anything.

So - what's the proper orientation?

I'd pay someone to do this work except I have close to no money for the
forseeable future (and I have TWO TR6's in need of loving care.) Oh, and the
house.

:-)

On the plus side, I can assemble one of these units in about 60 minutes now.
That's from parts all over the place, not neatly stacked on a bench.

rml

p.s. the polishing thing def. worked on the keeper washer - it came out to
.003" end-float using a .121" washer. That's in spec!
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489