fot

[Fot] FOT Nomination (sort of)

To: Starke Shelby <starkeshelby@hotmail.com>, 'Friends of Triumph'
Subject: [Fot] FOT Nomination (sort of)
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:45:54 -1000
Tony Garmey sent me an email saying Starke Shelby has been previously
nominated and seconded, but somehow didn't get onto the list. Since
Tony is an FOT member you might wonder  why he didn't just let Mark
know. I know the answer to that. Picture a old-style balance scale.
Mechanical skills and fabrication excellence on one pan, computer
skills on the other. Now put a TR3 motor or perhaps a Corvette
longblock on the mechanic pan, and well, absolutely nothing on the
other. There you have it. It's a matter of balance.

Mark, could you please add Starke to the list. Or if somehow he didn't
get nominated and seconded, consider this a nomination. But i dimly
remember John James nominating him as well as numerous people
seconding. For me to remember anything even dimly it must have been a
remarkable event. Perhaps there were fireworks?

Starke has been a vintage racer for many years, is active in SOVREN
officialdom, and in his prior role as competition chairman never once
had me frog-marched out of the paddock. He owns two TR4s, including
John James' severely crinkled race car which he plans to return to
active duty. He also has a real Devin body which has a Triumph
powertrain in it's future.

On another topic, Starke and I had a nice conversation about the
upcoming FOT focus event at the CRC. He has had conversations with
other SOVREN officialdom and verified that SOVREN intends to continue
it's practice of counseling competitors from other vintage racing
clubs about their departure from SOVREN car preparation rules rather
than prohibiting them from running. So in other words, you can run.
SOVREN will group cars by potential so people with conservatively
prepared cars will be scored against their proper competitors. I knew
SOVREN would take this approach but it's nice to have that clearly
stated.

The club is EXTREMELY supportive of the FOT event, and thrilled to
have Kas coming.

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins
Billb@bnj.com