fot

[Fot] Sorting front hubs (Spitfire GT6)

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Sorting front hubs (Spitfire GT6)
From: GRMTim@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 21:21:16 EDT
I am now sorting the Group 44 Gt6+ and could use some advice.

I used stock GT6 hubs and am using wheels I got from a Spitfire road racer
(American Libra 13x6" with 3.5" of back space). The front wheels stick out
pretty far (about an inch wider than the front fenders). When I got the car,
it
came with some aluminum front hubs that bring the wheels in about half an
inch. I
thought these were not original, but when I studied an old Group 44 photo, I
saw the exact same hub in the picture. I had them crack checked and they came
out okay. I am nervous about aluminum front hubs anyway, and when I went to
mount  a wheel, it rubs on the caliper, when I use these hubs. A 1/8"-1/4"
spacer would solve this problem, but that defeats much of the purpose. What do
you
guys use? What do you think of aluminum hubs? What do you think of this size
wheel and do you face the same issues? And how do you solve them? Thanks, and
if anybody wants to check out the car, it is on our website and I plan on
taking it to the Winter Park car show in a couple of weeks and of couse to the
Mitty.

And yes, I am getting calls about Portland and Monterey and am seriously
thinking about making the trek if I get accepted to Monterey. And for those of
you
who asked about the Glen and Road America, if I don't go to Portland I could
end up at one or both of those events, but I can do all of them. First, I need
to get some stuff sorted before I do anything but car shows, which are not
really my thing.

Tim Suddard
Publisher; Classic Motorsports
and Grassroots Motorsports magazines
www.classicmotorsports.net
www.grassrootsmotorsports.com
Phone: (386) 673-4148 Fax: (386) 673-6040