fot

Re: [Fot] Piston to liner top clearance in tr4

To: toodamnfunky@comcast.net,fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Piston to liner top clearance in tr4
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 19:38:00 -0500
Here's the deck height discussion from 2005 - Tony:

In a message dated 12/13/2005 11:22:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com writes:
With  stock rods and hepolite pistons and a steel head gasket (.020" thick),
the  pistons will just "kiss" the head at 6500 rpm when the deck clearance is

.006" below the top of the liner. This is with a stock crank. So that  means
there is .026" total elongation in crank flex, rod and main bearing
clearance, rod "stretch, pin flex and piston growth from the heat of
combustion.

That's exactly what I have found with a stock shaft. With a steel crank I
run a thou or two in the hole with a .020 gasket, no carbon buildup on the
piston tops below the squish area..
Glen.