fot

[Fot] The Wild Hare at VIR

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] The Wild Hare at VIR
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 21:32:49 -0400
We had fun at VIR as usual, the boys (and Susan!) came out to populate
the Ghetto. We had way too much attrition, both Dean Tetterton and I
didn't survive the first session. Many thanks to Susan and Brad, they
insisted I take a session in her Spitfire and offered to share the
enduro. I had a hoot in the Spit on Friday afternoon, but she came in
Saturday afternoon with failing oil pressure, so on the trailer it went.

The Wild Hare Pursuit Race had a Triumph powered winner! Bob Wismer
started from the pole and ran a strong race. It was the closest finish
in Wild Hare history, but in the end Bob and the Thunderbolt was
declared the winner. Congrats Bob!

Leo offered up the latest installment of the Martha McDougal award at
the Saturday dinner, the deserving winner was George Wright. Look for a
post soon with the whole story.

Then we lost Capt'n Rob, his TR4 came in on Sunday warm-ups with a rod
knock. The group 1 and 4 feature only had Mark Craig in a squaretail
Spit. Mark ran strong. Then in the group 3,6 and 8 feature we only had
George Wright, Tony Drews and Dennis DeLap in their TR4's, Leo Oddi in
his TR250 and Bob Wismer in the Thunderbolt. George ran very well, got
first in class and had a great run with a pair of BMW 2002's. Tony ran
great at a track he only ran once before. Leo continues to run fast, and
finished well. Dennis DeLap was having fun with a MGB-GT all weekend,
and did so in the feature as well. Bob Wismer had a good run going until
the Thunderbolt succumbed to yet another sunken carb float. It went two
laps short of a perfect weekend, so Bob had no complaints at all.

This event continues to be a real treat, tons of track time, low key,
great people and a great time. Give it a try, you will come back for
sure.