fot

Re: [Fot] Are cam followers truly "flat" for TR6/GT6?

To: Scott Janzen <s.janzen@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Are cam followers truly "flat" for TR6/GT6?
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 16:09:18 -0500
Oh, you may start something here. We've argued about this in the past
(see for example thread -
www.team.net/mharc/archives/html/fot/2008-03/msg00206.html).

What is dead flat?  Most lifters have a very slight crown.  Usually, 50
to 100 inch radius of curvature, which is about 0.001 to 0.002 in across
the lifter.  The reason for this is to insure that the lifter does not
contact the side edge of the cam. e.g. due to misalignment or cock of
the lifter in the bore.  Some people might call this dead flat.

Most camshaft lobes are also tapered.  The reason for this is to promote
rotation of the lifter.  The lobe taper must be matched to the offset of
the lifter bores relative to the cam lobes.

Here is a picture of the usual arrangement -
http://home.swbell.net/cartrip/LifterGeom.gif

If your lobes are not tapered, you should be able to run flat lifters as
long as your alignment is dead nuts (love that machinist lingo). I would
run lifters with a slight crown.

And now we should be hearing from Bill Babcock and Chris Marx.

Larry Young