fot

Re: [Fot] Group 44 owners on FoT

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Group 44 owners on FoT
From: Steven Belfer <colordog.1@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 10:54:18 -0700
I've got the TR3 with group 44 history,

When the TR4's became competitive, Furstenau sold the Group 44 TR3.
Not sure who bought it but My dad, Mike Belfer bought it from that
guy.  It was raced in the midwest for many seasons until it was
flipped at Blackhawk farms with my uncle behind the wheel.  A big
lumpy tree root near turn 4 was in the grass just off the pavement and
and a small "off" put this root in the path of the front wheel.  The
car was wrecked and my uncle suffered a broken arm.  The group 44 tr3
was then taken apart, and a new frame was purchased from Triumph, I
guess they had a frame in the warehouse in NY that was sold just as
any other part number.  (It was the last one.)  My current racecar,
built up somewhere between '69 and '71, used this frame, and whatever
parts survived from the Group 44 TR3.  Various body panels, susp
pieces, engine parts were used.  The car has been raced ever since.  I
was only a kid at the time (Born in 1968) I was always told that this
was the Group 44 TR3 but my dad took great pride in the Group 44
connection and stretched the truth just a little ; )  The car was fast
and always ran at the front of the pack.  It was also super reliable
and we always spent time hanging around having fun at the track and I
can not recall ever pulling the head or doing engine work at the track.

~Steve Belfer