fot

Re: [Fot] Broken Cranks: Was - Any connection between these

To: <britbits@netzero.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Broken Cranks: Was - Any connection between these
From: "Kas Kastner" <kaskas@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 17:08:04 -0700
You could do anything that you wanted to the crank except, add material. No
welding, or whatever except balancing. Read the meaning of balancing in the
dictionary, it means to " make even". Does not say to take away or add, just
make even. It is interesting in this rule as with the TR-6 I had to move the
harmonic trouble spot to a higher location in revs so I added a bunch of
weight to the crank and even added brass plates to the sides of throws to
get the harmonic in a position that was outside of the area in which I would
use the engine.  Worked like a charm and, as I was balancing, it was
allowed. You  gotta read the rules. Used nitriding as a tool most of the
time, made a 50% strength improvement in the TR-6, TR-250 crank..

The difference between the Spitfire big bearing crank and the small bearing
crank is the oil passages.  The big bearing is not good. I had a terrible
time with it and finally plugged the stock hole and cross drilled, this
fixed it and redrilled the main feed to the throw.  I've written about this
in my books as most already know. The same with 1500, same problem, oil
passages wrong for high revs and racing.  Okay on the stockers though.  This
all happened as they were trying ( and did) commonize parts in the engines
across the model line. Bad move for racers.

Sometimes I was very popular at the factory and sometimes not, when I
hollered and yelled about the 1296 MK 4 crank I was not popular (I was
correct) but not popular. Then they did the same thing on the 1500,
different folks to deal with at that time, not the same old Triumph good
guys who had been shipped out to rescue engineering in the M.G. plant in
Birmingham. Mergers do not always do a good thing for the customer.