fot

[Fot] Its the end of the world as we know it

To: FOT <Fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Its the end of the world as we know it
From: John Nikas <capecoventryracing@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 21:59:38 -0700
Gentlemen:

Just a note from out here on the West Coast that you might want to stock up
on water and dry food since the seventh sign of the apocalypse has just
reared its ugly head. Last weekend we competed in our second 24 Hours of
LeMons held at Reno-Fernley Raceway in our TR7.  Despite having been
purchased for $500 and with little (or no) work done to the car, it
succeeded in finishing (again) the entire race with little difficulty. We
finished 36th out of some 170 cars (we would have been in the top 20 but for
a couple of crappy pit stops) and competed against several 944s, Mazda
RX-7s, Miatas, BMWs and Alfas. The little Brit Shitbox just refused to die
and was able to actually pass some much faster cars due to selective passing
(tight corners with a downhill portion following) and strong doses of driver
courage.

A lot of vintage racers compete in Lemons, but do so in modern machinery
(BMW, Honda, etc.). It felt good to do it in a Triumph. Some of you may
recall that we led last year's race up until the middle of the second day so
we are pleased with our performance to date.  The old girl will race again
in the California Lemons race in August with Chuck Gee, John Frymark, Alan
Mizutani and Mike Bruner at the wheel. I encourage all of you to take a
crack at a Lemons race near you since the spectacle is beyond your wildest
imagination and its something to see some 200 cars on the track at the same
time.  Sleep well tonight knowing that the car that killed Triumph managed
to atone (in part) for its dismal history and competed on equal footing
against more modern and faster machinery.

--
Very truly yours,

John Nikas
Cape Coventry Racing