fot

[Fot] Radiator Caps

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Radiator Caps
From: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@McCarty-Law.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 07:41:58 -0500
Tony's recent comment about his radiator cap got me thinking about the
tendency of my 1296 Spitfire motor to fry cylinder #4.  While at the
track a couple of weekends ago, I pulled the overflow tube out of the
tank and let it dangle, poured water in the header tank and watched it
run out of the overflow tube - with the radiator cap ON.

I'm assuming it's not supposed to do that.  (At this point, I'm
reminding myself that there is no learning without humility...)

I looked at the radiator cap and noticed that it does not have a lower
seal and that the vacuum valve is not there.  I had always ass-u-me-d
that was the way it was made.  But now that I'm thinking about it, it
appears to me that it would allow water from the engine to flow through
the hole where the vacuum valve usually is and out the overflow tube
into the overflow tank, holding no pressure in the cooling system at
all.

I've replaced it with a new radiator cap, having both seals in
place....and water still runs through - but that's a second question...

Scott