fot

[Fot] OT - diesel tractor over heating issues

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] OT - diesel tractor over heating issues
From: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 09:22:15 -0400
Yeah I know this is supposed to be about Triumph race cars but I need
help.  The obligatory Triumph content is if I have to work on this
tractor I won't be able to work on Susan's race motor.

While mowing with our small Ford 1700 tractor yesterday it all of a
sudden coughed, emitted a large amount of black sooty exhaust and
died.  Upon inspection it was found that it was low on coolant.
Refilled the radiator and started it up.  It ran for a little while
and then did the same thing.  Upon even closer inspection we found
that the temp gauge was registering "cold" yet there was little or no
coolant in the radiator.  It would seem that the temperature sensor
apparently reads ok when its not immersed in coolant.  The gauge is
working because after we filled it and ran it the temperature gauge
registered ok.

So I refilled the radiator again, left the cap off and cranked the
engine over.  As it was cranking there obvious bubbles coming from the
radiator filler opening in time with the cranking of the engine.  To
me this would be a strong indication that the problem is either a
blown head gasket or a cracked head.  Unless someone can point me in a
different direction it appears my next step is to pull the head to
check things out.   Oh yeah, didn't notice any coolant in the oil
either.

Any thoughts?!

Thanks,

Brad