fot

[Fot] Stupid Gear Question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Stupid Gear Question
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:19:32 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I recognize that the answer to this question is more or less "find the
longest straight and gear up/down 'till you hit the redline just before
the brake point...

But here's the question anyway - I bumped up the power in the TR6
autocrosser this year. There's enough bump (and it's not completely tuned
yet) that I can pretty much spin the wheels at will in 2nd, or so it
seems. I also observe that the rears are running hotter than the fronts -
this is new territory for me, it's always been the other way 'round.

At any rate, shifting in autox is mostly a waste unless you consider the
effects of running the motor to beyond the $$$ indication on the rev
counter, SO - if you're gear too low (numerically higher) - say 4.33 - and
you happen to have a spare diff with 4.10 gears, would an increase in
available power combined with the higher gear (numerically lower, 4.10 in
this case) balance things out so you don't have to row through the gears
as much?

What I get with my gears spreadsheet is 4.33 and 6200 redline == 62 MPH in
2nd whereas 4.10 and 6200 == 65 mph... hmmmm, maybe still too low to avoid
the upshift to third on occasion (we run airport autcorsses in our
regions, so we can see some speeds in excess of 80 in prepared cars.)

Just curious what anyone has to offer on the matter.

regards,
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2009       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489