fot

Re: [Fot] Stripped Threads - RHS rear corner of block

To: Don Elliott <58tr3a@videotron.ca>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Stripped Threads - RHS rear corner of block
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:53:37 -0700
I have helicoils in all the short bolt studs holes on most of my
engines--I do it to the outer four as a matter of practice, since the
they tend to have cracks leading into the pushrod tunnels or
elsewhere. Greg Solow has slightly longer studs available with longer
threads that require a little drilling and using a bottoming tap on
the existing hole. One of my engines has these as well as helicoils.
The Helicoils WILL handle the torque, but in the future I will use
Timeserts,  or keyserts, or any of the solid thread repair options. I
like the look of the time serts best, but they require the most
tooling. Keyserts are very good and they won't turn out. You use a
standard tap for them in the smaller sizes, I'm not sure what they use
for 1/2 inch, I'd suspect 9/16 but it might be something odd like 17/32"