fot

Re: [Fot] Tubes in racing tires.

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Tubes in racing tires.
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:39:17 -0500
They are not inner tubes in the traditional sense.  They are an inner
tire.  The have two places where the tires seat against the rim and
two valve stems.  They run like 20 psi higher in the inner tire than
the outer one so the handling is OK.  Every once in a while, the
inner tire leaks and raises the pressure in the outer (real)
tire.  They call that "equalizing" and it really messes with the
handling.  The inner tire is to give some semblance of control when a
tire bursts on a super speedway.  They certainly help them in that
case.  Makes the wheel assembly heavy as heck.

Back to the original tubes question, with panasports and any kind of
tire - bias or radial, there's no reason to run tubes.  Hoosier
vintage TD, Dunlops, Hoosier speedsters, etc all hold air well enough.

- Tony Drews