fot

Re: [Fot] Michelin's new spoked tire

To: <BillDentin@aol.com>, <kaskas@cox.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [Fot] Michelin's new spoked tire
From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <jerryvv@roadrunner.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 20:01:39 -0500
There is an industrial tire called AirBoss that uses a similar concept but
with much greater cross sections and individual segmented sections. I know a
lot about that product as I served as the President of the Division for
several years until the parent sold the business. In our case the product
served a specific niche market on equipment used in aggressive environments.
We did a lot of testing and strictly limited the speed that the tire could
be used as you build up heat pretty quickly when the rubber is flexing. I'm
sure that Michelin has done even more testing since their tire is intended
for highway use. We did experience issues with rocks and debris getting into
the open air pockets. While I realize that our product and this tire are for
very different applications the failure modes might be very similar.
The concept was copied by other manufactures eventually and costs became an
issue as competitors found ways to make similar tires and we did not change
our design. (Much more to that story). It was a good experience for me
personally and I learned a lot about the dynamics and chemistry that goes
into the design of rubber products.
Bill Dentinger and Bob Kramer may remember our tires that were used on
Skid-Steers and Variable Reach lift trucks. We were an OE option for several
years on Case, New Holland, John Deere and BobCat equipment.
JVV