fot

[Fot] brake seals, Toyota calipers, et al

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] brake seals, Toyota calipers, et al
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@bright.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:03:13 -0500
Hello list. We need to remember we are talking about race cars and
racing.  Somehow getting only 1 or 2 seasons out of a set of calipers
before they need something is like being "slightly pregnant".  After
every session they should be checked and after every event they should
be thoroughly inspected.  Do this immediately after the car is
unloaded, not the day before you head out the next time.  If you want to
help cooling, drill some holes around the perimeter of the piston, where
it protrudes beyond the boot. These holes will let the hot gas that
builds up inside the piston vent to atmosphere.This will get rid of some
of the heat transfer from piston to caliper.  Commercial content, we
have rebuilt calipers - Spit. GT6, TR4, early and late TR6 for $69.95
each exchange.  Toyota 4 piston calipers, rebuilt, including steel braid
hose to go from caliper to TR bulkhead fitting (eliminates need to adapt
hoses or steel lines) - $225.
On another topic. the IMSA GTP cars did indeed generate a huge amount of
down force.   On the banking at Daytona, tires would blow from down
force load. This led to the track installing the chicane at the end of
the back straight just before entering NASCAR turn 3. Ted

--
Ted Schumacher
tedtsimx@bright.net

fot@autox.team.net