fot

Re: [Fot] Started the TR4 today!!!

To: Mike Mehl <mike.mehl@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Started the TR4 today!!!
From: Steven Belfer <colordog.1@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:53:23 -0700
Sounds like you must use the process of elimination to determine the
source of the squeaking.  First, get a piece of tubing about 24" long
and at least 1/2 ID and use it as a listening device.  Have your
assistant work the throttle and listen to the areas you suspect as if
you are a Doctor with a stethascope.  It may help you pinpoint the
location.

I suppose the belt could squeak if the belt tension is too loose or if
it is lubricated in some way.  You could put a little belt dressing on
the belt to eliminate any slippage and make sure it's tight.  If you
think it's the water pump, you may want to try a different one.  I
know it's a pain to drain the water but it's not too tough to change.
I do not run an alternator on my TR3.  You could use a shorter belt
and bypass the alternator to see if it still squeaks.

~Steve