fot

Re: [Fot] Dreaded Thrust Washers in the Oil Pan

To: <gaf3@charter.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Dreaded Thrust Washers in the Oil Pan
From: Lorne Fritz <lfritz82@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 23:36:28 -0400
This is more common than you think.  Iv'e had to repair  several.
If your lucky the larger size washers will take care of the end play, but the
real problem is it usually wears off the tabs on the bottom main bearing cap
which holds the washers in place.  To fix this you can add weld to the cap and
carefully grind it back to the original shape and or pin the washers with
brass to the block. Of coarse the crank would need to come out to put the pins
in.     Good luck,  Lorne
> Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 17:13:45 -0400
> From: gaf3@charter.net
> To: fot@autox.team.net; 6pack@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Fot] Dreaded Thrust Washers in the Oil Pan
>
> Group
> I've been working on a friends 74 TR6 and we discovered lots of crank
> end play.
> I checked the end play because he was complaining of hard shifts or
> grinding while putting the trans in reverse.
> I removed the pan and found the thrust washers in the oil pan..
> I've run into large end play issues with the TR6's but this is the first
> I've seen in the pan.
>
> Understanding that this is a common malady with the TR6, I ordered a few
> sets of oversize thrust washers.
> Don't think there is enough material in a .025" oversize bearing to fix
> the problem.
>
> I pulled the bearing cap and didn't see major wear in the thrust face of
> the crank. I will need to do a closer inspection of the block
>
> Anyone out there seen a reasonable/simple fix for this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Glenn Franco
> TR6's, 250 and Spit racer

The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with
Hotmail.
http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multiaccount&ocid=PID2832
6::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_4
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive