fot

Re: [Fot] Crank split seal ring TR3/4 - advert

To: timmurph@fastbytes.com, tr4racing@googlemail.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Crank split seal ring TR3/4 - advert
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 15:28:31 EDT
Great note Tim!

Yes! Someone determined that the factory dimensions we wrong.

Thanks for letting us know about the Moss offering...I wondered about that.

I'll let Christian answer this, but he made a change to the mandril
dimension to reflect a dimension closer to the one you just mentioned.

71.55 mm

(The mandrils that I am producing will reflect Christian's final dimensions
and will be lower cost than the current Moss Motors offering)  I think
Christian got it all right.

Finally, you are correct about the drain back tubes. There are two of them
and I just had the recent experience of plugging the small one with
disastrous results. First time it has happened in 40+  so I was due, eh?

Regards,

Joe A

> Good work Chris!  Just a note on the Moss alignment mandrel for the rear
> seal.  It is the wrong diameter, just a bit oversize.  It is made of what I
> think is Delrin and I had mine turned down to 2.814-2.815 (71.48mm
> -71.50mm).  Now it is about the correct size.  You wrote that you used
> 2.818
> (71.57mm).  I've only had to use it once as now that the two halves of the
> aluminum "seal" are bolted to the block and cap I've had no reason to
> remove
> them, so far!  I would also note that the oil "drain" hole is critical to
> the stock seal working correctly and the felt seal on the sides of the cap
> are also critical to the sealing of the rear main.  I've attached a couple
> of Kas's old posts regarding this.  I made my punches out of brass, just
> easier to machine, and I use 1 inch pieces of the felt seal at a time and
> pound them in.  I get felt coming out of the gaps on the sides of the cap
> if
> I'm doing it right.  I've done the seals 3 times now and I just have a bit
> of the weeping that Kas mentions.  If anybody wants to borrow my mandrel
> contact me off list.  As I said you usually only need to align the aluminum
> halves once.
>
> Tim Murphy
> 1961 TR4 #317

</HTML>