fot

[Fot] Fwd: TR3 rear shock conversion

To: 'Friends of Triumph' Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Fwd: TR3 rear shock conversion
From: Bill Babcock <billbab@me.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:11:41 -0700
This almost certainly boinked since I forgot to trim off the extra bits.

The construction has a lot of limitations. Modern racing shocks have precisely
controlled damping that doesn't change much as the shock is stroked repeatedly.
They use sealed air chambers or other means to prevent gasses from being
introduced into the shock oil, the stroke of the shock is full travel so the
damping in both directions can be controlled effectively, and the oil volume is
relatively large so it doesn't heat quickly. Lever shocks have small oil
capacity, a very short stroke (amplified by the arm) no gas/oil separation, and
very limited control. The end result is a shock that looks completely
inconsistent on a shock dyno.

Fortunately our cars are equally unsophisticated in almost every aspect of
suspension, steering, and braking. In other words you can't tell how badly they
suck (or how much less a modern shock doesn't) because everything around them
sucks.

Bottom line to your question, tube shocks out perform them in every way except
that you don't already have them on your car.

There is a reason why you can get around a typical race track faster in a
modern grocery getter than in a vintage production racer. That reason is
EVERYTHING.

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html