fot

Re: [Fot] Spit 1300 racer head gasket issues.

To: EDWARD BARNARD <edwardbarnard@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Spit 1300 racer head gasket issues.
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:36:40 -0600
EDWARD BARNARD wrote:
> Listers: Actually the first gasket I tried on the engine was a Payen. That is
> the only thing I buy. The engine has been bored .060" over, and the Payen blew
> between the adjoining cylinders. We are just looking for some way to get
> through the season until we can pull the engine and have the block cut for
> rings. Bill Collins was told that the Yamabond won't work with copper gaskets.
> On the first try with the copper gasket I glued rings to it and sprayed it
> with copper and left it until tacky. I know Kawasaki has a similar product to
> Yamabond that I use to use on the FV engines to seal the crankcase halves. Not
> sure it will work in this application.
> We may just go back to the Payen and keep our fingers crossed.

Ed, if you're really out of possibilities, one of the things that seemed
to work on stock engines with chronic head gasket problems was a
silicate-based sealer (I can't remember a trade name, but, the stuff is
probably identical, except for concentration, to the liquid head
sealants on the market today).  It was a clear, thick liquid which
tended to develop silica crystals in the bottom of the bottle, and as I
recall, came in a small (3-4 oz.) bottle with an off-white label.  The
only time I ended up using the stuff was at a shop I worked at in the
`70s.  They demanded it be used on all water-cooled engine
rebuilds--claimed it reduced the comeback rate.

Some of the old-timers in your area may remember the stuff and might
still have some around.

Tried sending this directly, but, AT&T routing is still blocking some
addresses.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive