fot

Re: [Fot] Hard cornering

To: MIKE DEWEERD <deweerdm@rogers.com>,fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Hard cornering
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 23:14:10 -0500
The standard fix is a bit counter intuitive - pretty stiff front
springs and a fairly large front anti-roll bar.  Normally, stiffening
the springs and putting in a stiffer bar will cause the end of the
car you've done that on to have LESS grip, but not the TR-4 with it's
interesting front end geometry.  Another thing to try is to adjust
the tire pressures front to rear.  I can get my car to push with a 2
psi change in rear tire pressure.  Dropping the rear pressure (again,
counter intuitive) will allow the rear of the car to rotate more - at
least that's what it does on mine.

With the Speedsters, I run 25 psi front and 23 rear cold.

In general, understeer is NOT my problem, sometimes it's just the
opposite - I need to bump the rears up a half a PSI to keep from too
much oversteer.

However, I don't run a locked rear end, I run a Detroit
Locker.  Under power it's a locked rear but off the power the rear is
open.  Locked rears cause initial understeer until you get the rear
sliding a little.

Also, check your brake bias - having more rear brake helps slow the
car and also helps rotate it (to a point).  TOO much rear brake makes
it want to go off the road backwards.

- Tony Drews