fot

Re: [Fot] Hard cornering

To: MadMarx <tr4racing@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Hard cornering
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 09:44:30 -0700
No, radius rods keep the axle from shifting forward and back on the springs,
panhard bars prevent lateral movement. The purpose of radius rods and panhard
bars is to provide a stable platform to optimize the suspension and steering
from. By themselves they do very little for handling with a car as far from
good racing suspension design as a TR3/4. But if you get everything else right
they become critical. When the radius rods on Peyote break or get otherwise
disconnected the car handles like crap.

There is no recipe for suspension that will make a TR handle as there is for
modern cars which generally don't have fundamental design flaws. The cheapest
econobox has a rigid platform, no bump steer, camber and camber gain that is
optimized for the recommended tires, no spring tramping, and a precisely
designed amount of understeer to keep Mom out of trouble. If you want to race
one of those cars you buy the parts package that EVERYONE knows works, install
it properly, bolt in a roll cage and you're set to spend some real money
moving from the back to the front. But your car will handle as well as it can
for the given platform.

Our cars are not so simple and the recipe and results depends on the chef. The
way these conversations progress, talking about individual elements instead of
a package, is a clear indication that it's art rather than engineering. If you
wanted to take a more engineering approach you'd get the platform stable
first, then apply core engineering principles to make the car steer and handle
at high speed. The art approach works just fine, but focusing on blueberries
doesn't yield a fine pie.

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html