fot

Re: [Fot] TR3 query

To: "'Greg \"Lunker\" Hilyer'" <Lunkercars@earthlink.net>, "'fot
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR3 query
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:32:13 -0700
> Can anyone help with commission # TS69978L, engine # TS48253E ?
> Where do these numbers fit into total production? Likely year of
> manufacture?

That would seem to indicate the car was made fairly early in 1960, but the
engine is from an early 1959.  Last TR3A (in 1961) was TS83572, so it's
fairly late in overall TR2-3 production.  (Another 3500 or so TR3Bs were
made in 1962.)

>           T R I U M P H
>              S T C - 6 2

Those plates were apparently added by some (possibly all) US dealers, after
about 1960, only when selling cars as a later model.  So the "62" likely
does indicate that the car was sold "new" in 1962.  Here's a (poor) shot of
the STC tag on my Sports 6:
http://tinyurl.com/2awrm8l

> And finally, might this be a 2138cc or did they all have CT numbers.

I believe 2138cc was available as an option at that time, so it might have
been.  Only way to be sure AFAIK is to get a copy of the build certificate,
as the engine displacement was not marked anywhere else.  But since it is so
easy to change (and the 87mm liners were actually cheaper for quite a few
years), there is no telling what's in there now, short of measuring it in
some fashion.

-- Randall
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com