fot

Re: [Fot] Heartland Park-Kastner Cup

To: Jason Ostrowski <jason@multivintage.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Heartland Park-Kastner Cup
From: Greg ''Lunker'' Hilyer <lunkercars@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:54:16 -0600
>  TR4 battle royal with grass flying and tires smoking.
> Unfortunately, for Greg, His whole car was smoking by the near end,
> he was
> out of the mix with a broken battery terminal and was parked on the
> side of
> the track with so much smoke I thought his car was on fire when I
> went by.
Sure glad someone saw that pass - sure was fun! Two wheels on the
rumble strip and two riding the grass on the inside and giving the
boot the whole way.
When my race was over I parked off track and immediately smelled
smoke. The grass over there was tall, brown and dry. The corner
worker was not going to cross the hot track, so when I actually SAW
smoke, I bailed and unloaded the fire extinguisher under the car.
About the time the flat-tow got there the batt terminal had made just
enough contact for the car to re-start. Then came the scary part -
The corner worker told me the race was over and sent me back out.
Thinking that everyone was on the cool-down lap, I was actually
waving to the corner stations when Tony came by again. Thought he was
going a bit fast for the cool-down lap but it didn't occur to me I
was on a hot track until a couple more cars went by. Boy did I
scramble to get off-line after that!
All in all, a wonderful event with my favorite crowd. I think Connie
and I may have kept some of you guessing by alternating sessions. As
it was, I got 2.5 sessions for the event [we missed friday] and that
suited me just fine. I don't mean that I'm happy about getting beaten
by a battery terminal but...
It is becoming way to common that my trip TO the event was more
exciting than the race itself. Perhaps more on that after I've de-
compressed a bit more.
Our thanks to all,

Connie, Barley and
Greg "Lunker" Hilyer