fot

Re: [Fot] GT6 Transmission

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] GT6 Transmission
From: George Harmuth <harmug@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 13:38:47 -0500
Scott, check with John at Quantum Mechanics
http://www.quantumechanics.com/ .  He has a stash of new TR7/TR8 gear sets
and corresponding hardware that he puts in a Spitfire case. The shafts are
machined down to match you application, early spit/ late spit/ GT6 and
takes much more abuse. I've had one in my racing Spitfire for a few years
and the breaks occur downstream now. You still have a 4 speed, Triumph,
transmission and besides the reliability you get close ratio and full
syncros as a bonus.  The only other thing I'd do to this box is reinforce
the tail piece, still a weak spot.

Having just munched the third transmission in about two years, I'm
ready to upgrade to something beefier, but would like to keep it in
the Triumph family, and need a vintage compliant 4 speed (no 5 speeds
need apply!).

G. Michael Harmuth

63 Spitfire
fot@autox.team.net