fot

Re: [Fot] Herald alloy bellhousing

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Herald alloy bellhousing
From: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@McCarty-Law.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:06:47 -0600
Joe wrote: << The difference in the two housings are obvious when you
put it next to one of the steel ones.  The thicker one appears to be
cast from the same molds
as the steel one. >>

Then I must have the thinner aluminum bellhousing on my Spit racer.
It's a noticeably thinner and lighter casting than the stock cast iron
one.

It hasn't broken yet, even though someone relieved it for the
Stahl-style header at some point in the past (which removes 6-8 inches
of the circumference of the bellhousing and at least one bolt-hole where
the header slides along the side of the engine) and we drilled a
large-ish hole in it to allow clearance for the single-rail style
shifter.  But then, as I said, we're not really pushing any power
through it.  I've used it mostly with the stock-ish 1500cc motors I've
been running.

Am presently knocking on wood and expecting the bellhousing to twist off
as I pull the car on the trailer for the first race weekend of the
year....

Scott B.

The difference in the two housings are obvious when you put it next to
one
of the steel ones.  The thicker one appears to be cast from the same
molds
as the steel one.  The thin one is much different and is immediately
obvious
to the eye.

Joe.
fot@autox.team.net