fot

[Fot] Looking for a Type A OD, either 22% or 28% (AH)

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Looking for a Type A OD, either 22% or 28% (AH)
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:00:16 -0600
Our OD on the TR4 race car got pretty well destroyed at the last race in
September.  The uni-directional clutch disintegrated and pretty well wiped
out the annulus, planet carrier, sun gear and main shaft.  It is a 22/1374
unit.  I'm looking for another unit to rebuild and put on the car.  We have
a 4.3 diff so the OD is pretty much needed on the long straights.  A 28% OD,
such as a 28/1447, which was used on the big Healy's I think, would be an
improvement.  I think a 22/1753 as used on the TR4A would also work.  We
currently have a TR3 transmission plus one spare TR3 transmission and a
spare TR4 transmission.

I didn't think the damage would be that extensive or I'd have started this
project sooner!  I've since learned that the uni-directional clutch (UDC)
provides the driving torque from the main shaft to the UDC spline and
rollers to the UDC outer race in the annulus output shaft.  Apparently the
cone clutch does not have enough torque to maintain the sun gear stationary
on the brake plate in direct drive.

I can get replacement used parts from John Esposito at Quantumechanics, when
they become available, but would still like to have a spare unit to rebuild
and have on hand.  Something tells me this will not be the last time this
happens!!  Plus if I can find a unit we may not have to miss any races this
year.

Thanks for any info and advice you can give, always appreciated and always
trying to learn moreJ

Tim Murphy

1961 TR4 #317
fot@autox.team.net