fot

Re: [Fot] Coil Resistance

To: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@McCarty-Law.com>, "Randall"
Subject: Re: [Fot] Coil Resistance
From: "William Dewar" <pcdelux@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 11:35:25 -0400
Scott,
 The power to the ignitor module red wire needs 12v. Not 12v fed thru a
ballast which is no longer 12v. Run power from ign switch direct to
coil(3ohm) or, run power
from ign switch to ballast. From that same ballast terminal
run power to module red wire. Run wire from other ballast terminal to ign
coil (1.5ohm). Provided the ballast is also 1.5 ohm giving you 3ohm total
resistance.
 Too low total coil circuit resistance overloads the ignitor
module and shortens its life. Too high coil circuit resistance,say a 3ohm
coil with a 1.5 ballast lowers the available current and can cause
misfiring. Not all ignition systems are the same..you need to match the
total circuit
resistance to it's needs. I believe even different model ignitors could get
away with lower or higher total coil
circuit resistance. It should say in the instruction sheet.

Hope this helps,

Bill DeWar
NJTA