fot

[Fot] Seating Rings

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Seating Rings
From: marty sukey <trmarty@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 13:35:43 -0400
As I get ready to start putting the Spity engine back together I have a
question.  Piston rings are the cast iron variety. In the past I have just
coated the pistons and cylinder walls with some engine oil prior to insertion.
I was talking to an old timer at the machine shop and he said he uses 90 wt
gear oil on the cylinder walls and leaves the pistons dry.  What do you
experts use? Does it make any difference? I do want the rings to seat and I
was thinking thinner was better but maybe I am wrong.  What say ye?

Marty
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html