fot

Re: [Fot] TR4 dual circuit brakes - restrictor valve

To: jhhasty@gdhs.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 dual circuit brakes - restrictor valve
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 09:33:02 -0700
Seems to be a bit of confusion here. Disk brakes generally need a residual
pressure valve which keeps a bit of pressure on the pucks to prevent them from
being withdrawn too much by seal elasticity. The stock brake system on all TRs
I know of that have disks includes a residual pressure valve. If you replace
that with a simple T for the front brake circuit you will need a residual
pressure valve. Some master cylinders come with the residual pressure valve
already installed, and you need to remove those if you're using it for back
brakes or clutches (really bad for clutch, it may toast your thrust bearing).
If you don't have a valve in the MC then you can add an inline residual
pressure valve.

A restrictor is totally different--it's used to adjust bias. It's not the best
way to do that, a balance bar works much better since it doesn't change pedal
effort and the adjustment can be made in both directions (though it's rare to
need to increase rear braking), but restrictors are cheaper and easier.

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive